7.26.2008

Finally, question #7 to put this debate to rest for now:
7. Are Macs more expensive than it's comparable PC?

For years when I looked at getting a Mac (I just thought they were cool and wanted one because no one else did) and when I saw the prices my jaw would drop. Seriously. I woud walk away going I am never going to pay that kind of money for a computer. Now Way.

And truthfully, that was the case for quite awhile... until about 5 years ago. Apple made a break through with their colored iMacs and iBook series. People looked at them as a valuable alternative to the PC world. Since then laptop prices have risen while Apple has been able to keep their prices relatively the same. Research has shown that buying the comparable laptops to items like the iMac, Macbook & Macbook Pro will run you about the same if not in some cases less. What are some of the factors?

-Macs last longer. So you spend a little more, but you aren't spending as much during the life of the computer on upgrades, software and replacements.

-Macs resale value is great. People are still looking to buy old iMacs, Powerbooks and iBooks to do basic word processing and more. Try selling an old PC to someone for more than $100 bucks (you'd be lucky to get that much).

-Macs have less trouble. You won't be spending money on ridiculus virus software, Geek Squad repairs and overnight stints and Best Buy or Circut City. Macs just have less problems which saves you money and time.

I've included some articles by people who know WAY more than I do about sales, figures, numbers, and life span of money spent when looking at your personal/ work computer. Check these links out, decide for youself, but the experts are saying it's going to cost the same or possibly less for the time you have the computer. So why not go with something that gives you less hassle? Or maybe the learning curve just isn't something you're trying to deal with and it's easier to just stick to your guns (which is completely cool too). Share your thoughts in the comments section peeps... what do you think?!?

Article Links/ Research:
PC World Finds Apple Laptops Cheaper Than PC Laptops
Is It Time To Finally Turn To The Dark Side?
Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?
Apple Macs really are cheaper than PC
Mac vs. PC: The Final Frontier


J-del **over and out**


4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Price was the biggest issue for me for a long time.

    I'm pretty savvy so I never make calls to geek squad. (I am the geek squad for many of my friends.)

    Then you have to talk about the investment in software. I already have a bunch of PC software and I'd need to buy all new Mac software. Mac software seems to cost more and there's less of it.

    That's all changing with web 2.0 and cloud computing.

    Now the large majority of the things I do on my computer I don't do on my computer at all. I do it in twitter, or Google docs.

    My next computer will be Mac.
    Anonymous said...
    Until my machine explouds in a cloud of apocalyptic fire, I'm sticking with what I've got. It should be good for another few years. Then we'll see...

    Until then, Steve Jobs is the antichrist, and Apple is the whore of Babylon...
    Jason said...
    Aaron, you crack me up dude.
    Anonymous said...
    I do what I can...

Post a Comment