10.16.2009

Lab #2: "The Story of To Write Love On Her Arms" with Jamie Tworkowski

Let me just say right off the bat- I love what Jamie and his team at TWLOHA is doing. They help people through depression, suicide, self-mutilation, etc. It is truly a cause worth getting behind to help people in need. Anyway, he told the story, which is found on almost every t-shirt (on the inside printed) and I was pretty familiar with that.

What I wasn't prepared for was the first part of his story. He worked as a product rep for Hurley in CA. He had a friend named Zeke Sanders who was a rep as well here in Va Beach. "Strange" I thought, "I had a friend named Zeke who I went to high school with and surfed with some." Jamie went on to talk about Zeke suicide and how it rocked the Hurley company.

I was floored. I remember hearing about Zeke taking his life and how it really took myself and many of the people who knew him back into a speechless state. "Zeke? Not him. He was one of the happiest guys we've ever met." Jamie went on to talk about how it started the wheels in motion for his heart to think about this idea of changing people's lives and educating them on this idea of suicide and depression.

I didn't expect to walk into a Lab session at a Christian conference 10 hours away and hear about an event I was so closely tied to- so many years ago. I went up and spoke with Jamie and we talked about our friend Zeke. I know if Zeke were alive today he would be ecstatic that people are helping others out of tragedy like this. Too many people struggle with depression and ideas of hurting themselves... and they rarely seek out help or treatment.

That Lab was God appointed and I am excited to begin a dialog with Jamie about Zeke. He was a great guy who had many more years of life and joy to offer. Praying God will use Zeke, Jamie, TWLOHA, Forefront, and everyone who loves people to reach out to those who need to hear about His love and grace.

More will be coming from this as our dialogue continues.

Jason *over and out*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment