6.24.2008

"I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword, my shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world."
- Viva La Vida by Coldplay

So I heard this song on an iTunes commercial over a month ago and it drew me in. Then I got the new album when it dropped and I haven't stopped playing it since. But, it made me think, "What better time than now for the church to use our culture & music to talk to those who are far from God." Now you might not be a Colplay fan and that's fine (even though they are amazing musicians/ song writers), but they are telling the tale of a journey we try to communicate every single day...


the journey of faith.


Pop music is turning to ask questions about God, spirituality, faith, understanding, love & the list goes on. They are prompting people to think about God, and the church needs to jump into the conversation with both feet. How are we using these songs, movies, current events, and happenings to our advantage and tell modern day parables of the love of Jesus? I know many Christians out there tend to "poo poo" the idea of engaging the unchurched with the world's culture in the hopes of using it to show them Christ, but I'm not buying it.




God has commanded us to spread the message of love/grace and the doors are being opened for us by the likes of Coldplay, The Offspring, Jimmy Eat World, & more. So the question is... what are you waiting for?

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I'm not a huge Coldplay fan, but I dig this song. I could be wrong, but I think it's about the Crusades. If so, an excellent opportunity to own up to the church's screw-ups and attrocities in the name of Jesus, and show that it's not what He meant for us to be.

    Good call, dude. So when will The Oisters! launch a reunion tour?
    Jason said...
    1. I believe you are correct about the crusades.

    2. Never.

Post a Comment